Sunday, October 12, 2008

Three Great Days-

Friday was one of the most emotional days I have had in a very long time. As I sat holding The Misses hand in front of the security point at Seattle’s Airport, I couldn’t wrap my head around just how long she would be gone. It was as if a large weight was pressing down on my chest, and there was nothing I could think of other then this is it, I wont see her again for 9 long damn months. Finally I couldn’t take it any more. We could have sat for another 30 minutes, but I had to get the goodbye over with. As we stood there holding each other, expressing our love for each other the time had finally come. We were at a point in the airport where she could go one way to the rental car and I would go another through security. We both watched each other as we both disappeare. I kept looking back hoping she would come back, but I knew she was having to hard of a time to sneak one last kiss. As I sat staring into nothing waiting to board the plane I thought back to the last two great days.

I flew into Seattle on Wednesday. The Misses had a 4 day pass and we couldn’t pass up the chance to spend a few last days together before she flew to Kuwait. As I saw her walking towards me at the baggage claim joy filled my heart. We hugged and kissed each other as if we had been apart for a year. We had a few hours so we went back to the barracks where she was staying so she could grab her things. It was so hard for me to be there with all the Soldiers realizing what I was going to be missing out on, but that is a story for another day.

The Misses had made plans for lunch with one of my Soldiers from my deployment to Landstuhl. SPC Shatzi (obviously her name has been changed) was a great Soldier. She had a knack for getting things done that most said they couldn’t. I really enjoyed being her Non Commissioned Officer (NCO). It was really good to see her and her 2 kids and catch up and remember the good times. It really made feel good when she had told her husband that she “was having lunch with her NCO.” It makes me feel like I might have left my mark on a great Soldier.

The Misses had made reservations for us to stay at a cute little cabin that sat next to a huge lake. It was perfect. That night as we lay holding each other on the sofa we fell asleep. It felt so good to have her back in my arms. She finally woke me up and we went to bed. As I got up through the night to use the bathroom it was so great to cuddle back up to her when I came back to bed.

-View From Our Front Porch-

We slept in late Thursday. We had nothing planned but to be with each other. We plugged in the computer and watched Grumpy and Grumpier Old Men. It was so nice not having anything to do. We got cleaned up and went to dinner. Then it was back to the cabin for “Champagne Thursday”. Okay so we stole it from a move, but it has been a lot of fun and I will miss our weekly toast. The Misses had made a “Missing You” playlist on her computer so we danced, cried, drank, and held each other till it was time for bed. I couldn’t imagine a better day.

- Champagne Thursday-

Friday we went into Seattle and had lunch on top of the Space Needle. We took our time, even though we both had lost our appetite. We were to upset about what we were about to do. Not much was said on our way to the airport, I wish it could have taken a lot longer. I wasn’t ready to leave her.

-Atop the Space Needle-

It was a great trip. One good thing that has come from all this is how close it has brought us. I feel so close to her, even though we are so far apart. It is going to be a long year. I can’t wait for her 2 weeks off over our anniversary. I can imagine the week we spend on a warm beach somewhere is going to be as good as those three days.

1 comment:

JEDA said...

Champagne out of plastic cups!?! Jesus! What has the army done to you people! I was all into this "hate the war--love the troops" meme, but now.....this is just beyond the pale....


I jest. I jest because I love. And also, you two promised to stop making me cry!

Happy trails Missus. Be safe.