Saturday, October 18, 2008

Letter from Iraq- 17 Oct, 08 Cont.

Vehicle Towing - California
Yep good training right here, what you don’t see is the hole our back right wheel fell into. Yep, we didn’t see it either. See…

Sneaky Hole

I just want to put out there I wasn’t driving, that was my battle buddy. (I love you Adriana!) We were going around the vehicle to the left of the photo following the first vehicle up ahead when wait… and vehicle towing training was then executed.
While in Washington we did a lot more convoy/IED operation exercises. We also practiced what are called crew drills. This is where everyone in the vehicle practices “What If’s.” while driving. I have to say my favorite is “Down driver, down driver, down driver!” This one is kind of hard to take pictures of. This is when you are driving (slowly of course, and after we practiced while the vehicle was stationary) and for some reason the driver can no longer drive and is unconscious. You call out “Down driver” 3 times then practice pulling them out of the driver’s seat and the person who sits directly behind the driver grabs the steering wheel and climbs over the seat to take over. Like I said, sounds crazy but it is possible. We did it. If you have ever been in fully furbished HUMMV with all your gear on pulling a full grown man out of the driver seat and replacing him with someone else, you can imagine that this does take practice. So we did and it’s my favorite because it’s the most fun to do.

No comments: