Friday, November 21, 2008

Letter From Iraq- 21 Nov, 08 Cont..

This is the door way to my room. All our living quarters are surrounded by these barricades. I live in 10-372C with SSG Rose Ledford. This is pretty much what I do in my spare time. Email The Mr. It’s nothing fancy but it is comfortable and it will do. We just got the mini fridge and the TV yesterday. We have about 6 channels to choose from off of the Armed Forces Television Network (AFN). The fridge is to keep milk in so I can have cereal and don’t have to get up for breakfast on my days off. Lazy, I know but it’s nice to sleep in.
This is what I do every night. It may be on these phones or some different ones but I have probably talked to some of you on them. This phone call however was to The Mr. If you think you see a rifle in my arms, you do. We have to carry it everywhere with us. I’m sure when I get home and go to get up from somewhere I’ll look around for it.
We took a tour the 2nd day we were here of the complex however, I do not live by this building. It isn’t finished and it’s not going to be. The former dictator started building it after Desert Storm 1. This is the Victory Over America Palace. Yep, no lie. That is its name. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to go inside any buildings yet but hopefully I’ll get the chance. This was a drive by picture taking. This lake is also manmade and I’m not sure how the water stays in it. For being a desert the dirt does not soak up water very well. When it does rain, water sits around in puddles forever. Well, until next time. Don’t worry there will be more when there is more to tell. Otherwise it is pretty much groundhogs day around here. Love, The Misses