Thursday, August 28, 2008

Letter from Iraq- 28 Aug, 08

Thursday, 14 Aug 2008

And so the training continues… today we did vehicle rollover training. Yes we did roll a vehicle. Well, not really. It was the body of an armored vehicle put onto a lift that simulates the roll over. Even though it’s a very slow roll I kinked my neck so bad. I forgot to tuck my chin. I can’t imagine what would have happened if we were going 50 miles an hour. Basically they roll the vehicle 180 degrees and then you have to get out while the vehicle is upside down. I wish you could see inside so you would know how tight of a fit it is and feel how heavy each door is, each one weighs approximately 400 lbs. It’s easy to get disoriented as to which way is which when your upside down, let alone opening that door from an awkward position. All I can say after this experience is wear your seat belt! I now know why people break their back and or neck in a car accident. Ouch!

Right Side Up

Upside Down

For the last couple of days we have been learning about the Army’s different weapon systems. I won’t give you all the names but basically we got to shoot big ass guns! From hand guns, to large ones you place on top of vehicles, to grenade launchers. To my nephew in Norway: yes they have lasers on them, red ones! A lot of fun I tell you. The Army is starting to train all deploying Soldiers on these weapons. Even if you don’t use it every day, if and when there comes a time you need to, you know how to operate it. As a medic, I can use any weapon necessary to defend and protect myself and my patients. So, if my gunner gets hurt in transport I can use his weapon to protect us both. Right now it is just good fun. Hopefully I will never have to actually use one.



Chelsea Kluge, Jennifer Ysmael, Jennifer Taylor, Adriana Galvan

1 comment:

JEDA said...

I assure you, Jenn, you've never looked so feminine and pretty. And that romantic summer sunset in the background...swoon.....

Srsly, the guns are freakin me out a bit.