Thursday, December 6, 2007

More than just a fence!

Some of you may recall one of my first blogs about my weird neighbors here in the ghetto. Because of them it was our wish when we got married that everyone gave gift cards to Home Depot. Thanks to everyone that contributed we finally have a 6 foot tall cedar fence. Okay so it isn't 12 feet, but it definitely helps.
Truth be told that a year and a half ago when we bought the home I started thinking about installing the fence. There have been many hours laying in bed thinking of the best way to erect a little piece of privacy. I had talked to several companies to find out what it would cost for them to do it. I was so worried about setting the post wrong and having it look like crap. Maybe it best's to leave this one up to the Pros. Problem with the Pros their price was a little high for my tastes (plus they wouldn't let me pay with Home Depot gift cards). So after a few more hours of tossing and turning, finally the day came to give it a try.
For those of you thinking of attempting this, the one piece of advice I would give is measure twice and dig once. We rented a post hole digger that was a real back saver. The Usual cast of faithful characters where there. The first weekend was spent with my Pops, and Little Dickie. The plan at first called for setting the post along the back of the fence then removing the chain link that had separated us from the beer cans. Once the post were set I said "f*&K it. have they even offered to help or pay a Pennie? NO!" I then decided to leave the fence there and build ours so the good side shows only to us. That will teach them to leave that damn truck sitting with all that crap in it!

It was actually much easier than I thought. After an afternoon of playing in the dirt the post were set. The next weekend The Family-in-Law stopped by to help out. It didn't take long and all of the post were set and it was time to get some privacy. The next few days I had all the pickets up. The Boss let me use his staple gun so there would be no risk of me hitting my finger.
As you can see it turned out nice. No more looking at my dirty neighbors! Well, unless you are in our kitchen where you can still see that damn truck. I sure do wish they made wood fences that stand 12 feet tall. Thanks to everyone who donated to the cause and especially those that came by and helped. Now if I can just figure out a way to fence in the area to my carport. That way Jeter can run, play, and most important take a shit. Without me or The Misses standing by to make sure he doesn't go out front. I guess that is what will keep me up for the next few months.

1 comment:

bob84108 said...

Looks great, and you are welcome, Love the IN-LAWs