Sunday, March 15, 2009

Letter From Iraq- 15 Mar, 2009

Hey Everyone,
It’s been a long time I know. I am so sorry about that. My work has really kept me busy and then with not having a computer… I am here now though. As The Mister previously posted I am currently on R&R (rest & relaxation) in the country of Qatar, phonetically pronounced, {cut-er} very near the city of Doha. It has been very enjoyable and some much needed time off. I have been able to get out and do some fun things to include a city tour, shop, boat trip with jet skies, swim in the Persian Gulf, ride a camel, eat some camel, 4 wheeling in sand dunes and spend some time at the beach. It’s been pretty great. The Mister posted some pics before of my city tour, but let me talk a little about the area. The Middle East (not including Iraq) is a very beautiful area. Food is good, people seem nice enough, very diverse. Iraq might be beautiful too, I just haven’t seen those places. I would have never thought of traveling to the major cities of Dubai or Doha but after having been here, I would come back and recommend it to you. It has been really nice. Here are some more pics of what else I have been up to since I’ve been here.

And now eating the camel… I know they were not the same camel because I actually rode the camel on a different day. It was pretty good actually. It was a sandwich that reminded me a gyro or a donor kabob if you know what those are. If you like them, then you would like a Kartof camel sandwich. (I think that is what it was called)
I jet skied for the first time. That was pretty dam fun! I can see why people buy those things. I was scared at first cause I thought I might fall off or try to stay on by holding on so tight and end up pulling out my shoulder… again. Well I didn’t do that and really enjoyed it. I could still see it happening if I got too carried away
Here is a pick of 4-wheeling in sand dunes. Again, also pretty fun racing in the sand anywhere between 30-70 mph.
While at the beach I was able to try on some traditional dress. Yep, pretty darn hot under there and I don’t know how those women do it. This is a girl I met here and have been spending most of my time with. Her name is Suhoney. That is the nice thing, well one of my favorite things about the military. You can go somewhere not knowing anyone and always end up making friends.
Here are some of me relaxing, on the boat… at the beach… and writing love notes to my sweetie in the sand. I had a lot of fun doing that.



Sitting on the beach as the sun went down was really nice. It reminded me of what The Mister and I have done in Spain and Mexico. I am really missing him right now. It’s much easier to cope when I am busy at work all the time, but being here just reminds me of all the great times we’ve had and will have. As much fun as this has been I can’t help but think it would have been that much sweeter if he were here too. I never thought being apart would be as hard as it is. I mean, I knew it would be difficult but… we have a great marriage and it has been rough. I don’t know how a rocky marriage could make it through this. Sweetie, just know how much I love you and I still know and believe we will get through this. We were meant to be together and we will be here again soon. Just in case you all haven’t guessed it already. The Mister and I have been discussing my future in the military. When I get home I will have one year left on my contract. At that point I will have 12 years in service and would only need 8 more to retire. I used to see myself as a “lifer” as many call it. This deployment has shown me this is not the life I want. I have decided to close this chapter in my life. Do I love what I do? Yes most definitely. I would be lying if I said I wouldn’t miss it. I will wonder how far I could have gone in my career and how many more places in the world I would have gone. I will never regret my decision to join and serve my country. Mostly because it helped me to discover my two greatest loves in life; my love for taking care of people both as a nurse and a Soldier but more importantly, I met the love of my life. My Sweetie. It is now with him I will be a “lifer.” To Iraq and Back My Love.
Love The Misses

3 comments:

One Hopeful Melody said...

Dang Jenn, I said it before, but you look great! :) I can't wait for you to get over here in June / July. Glad you're having fun in Sand-And-Camel-Land... You know what? I've re-considered. Don't send me a camel spider. :)

Erin said...

I love the pictures. Thanks for the birthday phone call-it was sooo good to talk to you! You look amazing. Love ya-Erin

Denice said...

where oh where is Jenn? We miss you!