Friday, February 29, 2008

Making me look like a fool

I really don't know how he did it but there you have it The Misses exterior light. Okay so it is just the rough-in portion, but everything is there to make our backyard light up when we flip a switch. When I removed the window and installed the door The Misses got it in her head that she wanted a light for outside the door. Of course she tells me this after I had repaired the drywall, installed the trim, and painted. From the very notion of the light I had said "absolutely not". I told her that I would have to cut out large sections of drywall and it wasn't worth the hassle.
It isn't that I don't know how to repair holes in drywall. I think it was 13 years ago that I was taught how to make a drywall repair. I think it is the only time in my life that I let my emotions get the best of me. I don't know what my girlfriend and I was talking about, but something set me off. We were sitting in my parents family room having a heated discussion about something. I remember getting up to get away from the situation and as I left the room I tapped the wall. I really must not have known my own strength because my hand went right in the wall. To make matters worse my Pops had just finished painting that area a few months before. I knew I was in trouble but instead of beating my ass, Pops just used this as a learning experience. He went through the details to patch the wall, but made me do all the work.

Who would have know 13 years later I would be installing a wall in my house using everything he had taught me. I still feel bad about the hole, to this day if you look hard enough at the wall you can see the awful patch job I did. Luckily my skills have gotten a little better, but I wouldn't have had a clue what to do if it wasn't for that little burst of emotion.

Since we were already tearing drywall out and making patches for our new kitchen, I decided The Misses could have her light. When the Electrician was finished he made me look like a fool. Not one hole. When I asked him how he did it, all he could say was "it's a trade secret". Trade secrete or magic I don't care, all I know is he saved my walls from being peppered with horrible drywall patches.

No comments: