Thursday, March 8, 2007

In the Ghetto


Now don't get me wrong. I love the little house we are making into a home. It is what it is, a fixer-upper. I have painted every wall in it (sometimes twice to get the right color) and have really made it comfortable.
It's just in an interesting neighborhood, and what was interesting just got weird. Our Backyard neighbors have never been what we like to call a model tenant. There is the junky truck parked in a corner that instead of being used as a vehicle is now their own private dump. Their kids love to jump on their tramp all day and all night. God bless their high screechy voices! And you can imagine the yard could use a few drinks of water and good mowing.
I have gotten used to all this and have even found comedy that I may in fact live in the ghetto. A lovely rendition of In the Ghetto can be heard coming from my horrible singing voice every time I pull into our driveway. The Miss's tries to make excuses and reassures me we don't live in the ghetto, but due to recent events she may end up agreeing with me.
Lately I have been noticing a lot of beer cans piled up just off the side of the deck of our neighbors home. You may contribute this to an out of control BBQ or the occasional garbage can getting pushed over by the screeching children running around the backyard. But this is Utah and it is January. No one has BBQ's at this time of year and the kids never go to this area for fear of the dogs (oh yes, forgot to mention the two pit bulls that never leave their dog run).
A couple of weeks ago as I was working on the new patio door I am installing. I jumped when I heard a loud clink from my neighbors yard. As I turned and looked, the husband was walking back into his dinning room and closing the door. I didn't think much of it until and hour later I heard the door opening and out he came. He finished what was left in the Budweiser can and threw it on the ground hitting the 15 or 20 other cans laying in the snow.
I wouldn't understand that what was happening was weird until a few days later. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw his lovely wife come out in her Sunday dress and start picking up the cans and putting them in the garbage.
I really think its time to build a big fence!
P.S. Yes, that white line across the bottom of the picture is a hammock. Although most people use these for relaxing our neighbors screeching kids use it for a swing. Just one more verse to add to In the Ghetto.

2 comments:

bob84108 said...

Admit it, your neighbors are a bunch of illegal foreigners who haven't learned the local customs yet!!!

The Pie's said...

Did you move next door to my sister?? Hee Hee.
I am sure your house is great!
Jen in TX